Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Blog Post #1: My Top Five News Sources

 My Top Five News Sources

1. The Washington Post
I would recommend this news source because the Washington Post has great credentials and is very widely circulated. It was founded in 1877 so it has had plenty of time to develop a great team of journalists and work out the kinks of the company. Not only is The Post a well-respected news source, but the format of it is very aesthetically pleasing. When I was in high school, I had to present four news articles four times a year in a very professional manner. My teacher put The Washington Post, along with a couple of others, as reliable news sources we could use to find our sources for presenting. So, this source is very reliable and trustworthy to get information and stories off of. 

2. The New York Times
The New York Times is also one of the most respected news sources. When most people think of news sources, The NYT and The Post are most likely the sources they think of. It has a worldwide readership and was founded in 1851. It is easy to filter the articles to a subject or topic you are looking for by going to the browser bar at the top of the website. However, sometimes I am not able to open some articles because you have to have a subscription to view them.

3. Huffington Post

The Huffington Post is also a reliable source but is not formatted as ascetically pleasing as the first two. I use this source and the first two as my main sources when researching articles for a school project. It was founded in 2005 so it does not have as long  a history as the first two, but that does not determine whether the source is reliable or not. 

4. Buzzfeed News
Buzzfeed is an American based news source that was founded in 2006. It is not a very reliable news source. I use it sometimes as a bad reference if I need one or if I see a story pop up on my social media. The reason they are not reliable is, that unlike The Post, the majority of the stories are not factual. Their stories are more based on assumptions and pop culture updates. 

5. Snapchat
Snapchat has news stories on the explore page. They are not very reliable because they usually are not written by scholarly journalists and have to do mostly with pop culture. The reason I put this as one of my sources is that I view the stories sometimes due to connivance from already being on the app. However, I would not recommend this as a source to use for academic research. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post: My Online Presence

I was born in 2002, this means that I grew up with electronics and social media. However, I am the youngest in my family which means I had t...